Question Phenylacetic acid and Lead Acetate (ii) Anyhdrous DESTRUCTIVE DISTILATION

stevepreston

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS DESTRUCTIVE DISTILLATION WORK HOW WHAT EQUIPEMENT DO I NEED AND HOW TO ATTATCH THE EQUIPEMENT this is the method :

Lead Acetate Method :

p2p.paa.pb.gif

Place 1000g phenylacetic acid and 3000g anhydrous (or trihydrate) lead acetate in a distillation apparatus and heat. First an amount of water will distill, and next phenyl-2-propanone in this destructive distillation, which requires liberal application of heat. The distillate will separate into two layers. The organic layer is separated and redistilled to give pure phenyl-2-propanone, bp 105°C/10 mmHg or 216°C at atmospherical pressure.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP NEED SOME DETAILS ABOUT EQUIPEMENT / HEAT / TIME / EXTRACTION

The-Hive

Moderator in UK section
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
distillation apparatus
vacuum pump
heating mantal
Full face respirator
a well, ventilated area

everything is there and explains what to do put the heat on untill it starts to distill

The distillate will separate into two layers. The organic layer is separate then you got to distill it again to give pure phenyl-2-propanone, bp 105°C/10 mmHg or 216°C at atmospherical pressure

stevepreston

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
thank you very much for your replay i realy appreciate it but my question is how the two layers.separates after water is distilled and i change the flask to get p2p what layers and how to extract the organic layer or whatever is he saying in the article please.if you have a something i'm waiting for your replay thanks in advance

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, separate with separating funnel, like always. If you don't understand basic manipulation, visit Laboratory FAQ section. There are answers all your questions.
Pay attention that lead acetate is extremely toxic substance.

stevepreston

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
do i put them both in the same round bottom flask and keep the constant heat till two layers seperate and then make the solvent extraction is that it ?

stevepreston

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
obviously i know about the distilation apparatus and the reflux and all of those details needed only that thanx for answering if you have time...

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I haven't said about round bottom flask. I said about separating funnel. Do you understand what is that? Where it's said that you need heat the mixture in order to separate layers? It's incorrect.

stevepreston

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
yes i know about that and do i put everything in the same flask and heat it till it seperates...?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Man, you wrote the post with information what you have to do. Read this post again. You need distillation apparatus.