Question Nitroethane

Mo0odi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
In the context of the preparation of industrial nitroethanes, propane is treated with nitric acid at 350-450°C. As a result of this exothermic reaction, four industrially important nitroalkanes are produced: nitroethanes, nitroethanes, 2-nitropropane, and 1-nitropropane.

Does anyone of you know how to do this experiment?

Wendy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Well, hot nitric acid, propane and high temperatures sounds fun, doesn't it?

It's almost impossibke to do. There was a guy on science madness forum who made the whole thing but at that point just became en engeneer instead

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
It is impossible to carry out such a synthesis in a laboratory.
I have been observing for 20 years the attempts of many enthusiasts to conduct gas-phase nitration, which in all cases turn out to be a failure.
It is easier, though much more expensive, to use the laboratory synthesis paths that we have posted on the forum.
Or buy ready-made nitroethane, while it is still available for the market at a cost of $ 100+ per kg.
Who needs nitroethane, write me DM, I will share verified contacts in different countries.

mg_gilandoust

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Preparation of Nitroethane from Ethyl bromide and Sodium Nitrite
32.5 grams of ethyl bromide (0.3 moles) was poured into a stirred solution of 600ml dimethylformamide and 36 grams dry NaNO2 (0.52 mole) in a beaker standing in a water bath keeping the solution at room temperature as the reaction is slightly exothermic. Always keep the solution out of direct sunlight. The stirring was continued for six hours. After that, the reaction mixture was poured into a 2500 ml beaker or flask, containing 1500 ml ice-water and 100 ml of petroleum ether. The petroleum ether layer was poured off and saved, and the aqueous phase was extracted four more times with 100 ml of petroleum ether each, whereafter the organic extracts were pooled, and in turn was washed with 4x75ml of water. The remaining organic phase was dried over magnesium sulfate, filtered, and the petroleum ether was removed by distillation under reduced pressure on a water bath, which temperature was allowed to slowly rise to about 65°C. The residue, consisting of crude nitroethane was distilled under ordinary pressure (preferably with a small distillation column) to give 60% of product, boiling at 114-116°C.
Ethylene glycol also works as solvent, but the reaction proceeds pretty sluggishly in this medium, allowing for side reactions, such as
CH3CH2-NO2 + CH3CH2-ONO -> CH3CH(NO)NO2 + EtOH.
KNO2 can also be used instead of NaNO2.

If NaNO2 is used in DMF, 30g of urea can also be added as nitrite scavenger to minimize side reactions, as well as simultaneously increasing the solubility of the NaNO2 and thereby significantly speeding up the reaction.

If the ethyl bromide is substituted with ethyl iodide, the required reaction time is decreased to only 2.5 h instead of 6 h. In case ethyl iodide is employed, a slight change in the above procedure needs to be done. The pooled pet ether extracts should be washed with 2x75ml 10% sodium thiosulfate, followed by 2 additions of 75ml water, instead of four of 75ml water as above, to remove trace leftover I2.

Mo0odi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score

sweettooth

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
are you mad just buy p2np or p2p its *****ing cheap from china and stop wanna try methods at such high grades and pressure bec you never operate such a thing what do you thing will happen with propan at 400 grad celsius if you do one little mistake...... damn you just rising your life and everyone living around you

sweettooth

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
and making nitroethan easiest method is the sodium method not silver to expensive but you will nee potassium hydride or something like that still yield and work is to much p2p an p2np are *****ing cheap 50 bucks the kg from china inside europa usa russia damn simply everywhere on the world. the chinese dont give a ***** they are in china for them its legal business using post systems and enterprise around the world even not knowing what they store tons of p2p and other precursors

MisterAnonymous

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Where can you buy P2NP for 50 bucks per KG?
If you tell me you would make me ver happy 😊

Mo0odi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Who told you that its prices are $50?
If you have a seller, share your information with us

Also there are countries that ban all these reagents

So I have to find solutions and find ways to manufacture

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
Many people were interested in the issue of nitroethane production, but so far no one has been able to establish production by simple means or with low cost.

We are also continuing to work in this direction, because there is indeed a request from our users. Nitroethane is very much needed by many, it is necessary for everything to be Pihkal, p2np.

But in the current conditions, it is really easier to buy ready-made nitroethane, or p2np, or designer precursors leading to p2p.

Until we offer an adequate synthesis, it is unlikely that anyone will be able to solve this issue on their own.

Many scientific papers are published in which the reaction schemes look simple, for example, nitric acid + propane (ethane) give nitroethane. But the conditions of such reactions are industrial, or with low yields.