I wonder if it is possible to obtain nitroethane in this way:

When glycerin is heated with sulfuric acid, acrolein is obtained CH2=CH-CH=O

with the action of hydrochloric acid on acrolein we obtain:

CH2=CH-CH=O + HCl = Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O

further, acting with sodium nitrite, we obtain:

Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O + NaNO2 = O2N-CH2-CH2-CH=O + NaCl

oxidizing the resulting compound when heated, we obtain nitroethane:

O2N-CH2-CH2-CH=O + [o] = CH3-CH2-NO2 + CO2

I saw in one of the Russian forums, is this method correct or is it just nonsense?

GhostChemist

Expert
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
The process is not entirely precise, and there will likely be a large number of co-products.
A mixture of halogen derivatives is formed (Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O and CH3-CHCl-CH=O). Acrolein and its chlorinated derivatives can polymerize, forming polymers and hard-to-remove resins. In the final reaction, the oxidation of the aldehyde group will proceed initially to form a nitro acid, which needs to be further decarboxylated. Although decarboxylation of nitro acids obtain nitroalkanes.
That the fact nitropropanal is explosive.

Mo0odi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Complete step-by-step answer:
At first, we will see the preparation of nitroethane from ethane. Here is the reaction of the process:

CH3−CH2−HO−NO3 −→−−−−−−423K to 698K CH3−CH2−NO2 + H2O NitroethaneCH3−CH2−HO−NO3 →423K to 698K CH3−CH2−NO2 + H2O Nitroethane
In the above mentioned process, the ethane is heated with concentrated nitric acid. The temperature of the reaction maintained at 423 K to 698K. The completion of the process ultimately results in the formation of nitroethane

Please can one of the experts explain this method?