Chloroform synthesis help, to distill or not distill?

AcidBase

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Hi,
I looked up the synthesis of chloroform and managed to do it 2 times already using liquid bleach and acetone. But some places state that it should also be distilled after filtering if it was going to be used for humans.
My problem is no one states the reason why it should be distilled. Is it to remove water completely from it? Or is there some other nasty substance mixed with it in liquid form that doesn't get filtered?

My primary use for chloroform is to extract opioids like heroin when doing an Acid/Base extraction so distilling just to remove water would be pointless. But on the other hand I want to know if there is something nasty in the chloroform that can taint the heroin even after evaporation that could be dangerous for use especially if someone is going to use the purified heroin intranasal or IV.

Thank you!

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
You need to distill and also dry the solvent with anhydrous MgSO4, Na2SO4 or CaCL2. Normally there is one simple and then a fractional distillation to perform for purity.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
If you stick the crude stuff in the back of your freezer for 2 days, moat of the water will freeze and you can just pour the chloroform off of the ice and toss the ice. There are a couple of byproducts that occur in this synth so distillation is highly recommended. Also, if no one mentioned I t you should hold out 2 ml of acetone, so it is the limiter of the reaction. You need to use up all of the acetone you added because acetone dissolves in water and chloroform, so if any is left at the end, your chloroform is garbage and there is no fixing it